Executive / Artistic Director
Date Posted: July 11, 2017
Application Deadline: August 18, 2017
Start Date: September 15, 2017
Salary: Commensurate with experience
City: Swift Current
Cultural Festivals produces a series of cultural events, including a music concert series, an international kite festival, music festivals, a music camp, and house concerts in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
Blenders: art + music
Throughout the past fifteen seasons, Blenders has developed into a series of 12 to 16 live music concerts presented at the local theatre from September to May. The concerts feature emerging Canadian artists ranging from blues and rock to roots and jazz.
Windscape Kite Festival
The SaskPower Windscape Kite Festival is a two-day event held in June each year since 2005. The festival invites high quality kite makers and performers from around the world to present their original artworks of high craft, design, and unique content in the Saskatchewan winds and sky. We attract over 10,000 people to a free family festival.
Long Day’s Night Music Festival
Since June 2003, Long Day’s Night Music Festival has evolved into a four or five nights of concerts that run in conjunction with the kite festival.
Swift Current Music Camp
The Swift Current Music Camp is a week-long day camp designed to help young musicians with an interest in performing and creating good contemporary popular music, discover their potential, and build their music appreciation skills.
The mandate of Cultural Festivals is to present a variety of high quality performing and visual art experiences that improve the quality of life and community pride of the citizens of Swift Current and area. The intent is to focus audience attention on Canadian culture by showcasing emerging Canadian performers and Canadian artists. All Cultural Festivals events are held with the values of providing safe, inclusive, quality cultural events in a family-centered atmosphere. The events provide a variety of artistic experiences, inspire creativity and develop interest in creative expression. They also generate significant revenue for businesses in the area and add to the image of and quality of life in the City of Swift Current.
Executive / Artistic Director
Reporting to the Board, the Executive / Artistic Director oversees and manages the general operations and infrastructure of Cultural Festivals including, but not limited to, artistic direction, financial and operations management, fundraising, marketing and public relations. The Executive / Artistic Director will implement the organization’s vision and strategic plan.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a leadership role in developing and executing the organization’s strategic objectives and mission
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Cultural Festivals. Financial management including preparation of annual budgets, monthly reports, annual audit, cash flow, CADAC financial input, liaison with accounting
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources to support Cultural Festivals’ mission including securing grant funding; overseeing and contributing to sponsorship, fundraising activities, donor development and retention; developing new revenue and funding streams
- Responsible for the artistic direction including all talent buying and contracting as well as new program development
- Responsible effective administration as well as event execution and management of all Cultural Festivals operations including planning, scheduling and record-keeping
- Responsible for all marketing and promotions as well as public relations
- Manage and recruit year-round and summer staff; create a positive and collaborative work environment; support and create opportunities for employee growth and development
- Provide written monthly progress reports to the Board and an annual comprehensive report with recommendations
• University degree or equivalent experience in related work
• Minimum 5 years experience in event production and logistics coordination
• Experience in developing and managing budgets
• Able to problem-solve calmly and effectively, especially under pressure
• Previous experience with fundraising, grant writing and donor relations in the arts and cultural sector
• Previous experience with the Canadian music industry and talent buying is an asset
• Excellent leadership, strong planning, time management and organizational skills
• Experience in recruiting, developing and managing staff and volunteers
• Excellent verbal, written, and inter-personal communication skills
• Familiarity with digital platforms related to event planning and marketing
• Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors (an asset)
• Ability to work evenings, and weekends as required
• Must have valid driver’s license
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter, resumé and the names and phone numbers of 3 references by 5pm on August 18, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org