The Archival Technician performs various duties in the development and maintenance of the County of Simcoe's archival collection including accession, arrange and describe, clean, apply conservation and preservation measures, store, research, and provide access to archival collections. In consultation with the Archivist, the Archival Technician will design, implement, and run digitalization and digital preservation programs and projects. The Archival Technician must exercise discretion and confidentiality and operate in accordance with relevant legislation including, but not limited to, the Canadian Copyright Act and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Two (2) year post-secondary Archival Technician diploma or a two (2) year post-secondary diploma in a related field such as: library technology; information management; records management; records administration; collections management; or conservation and preservation (especially of paper, photo, film, or documents; or Bachelor degree in social sciences or a related field and a certificate in archives studies or digial archives or other cultural institution.
- Two (2) years of experience working in an archives or other cultural institution with significant archival holdings, including experience arranging and describing archival records and including experience designing, implementing, and/or running a digital preservation program.
- Knowledge of basic conservation techniques for the preservation of archival materials.
- Knowledge of RAD (Rules for Archival Description).
- Knowledge of digitalization and digial preservation theory and best practices.
- Familiarity with database software and principles.
- Advanced Microsoft Office and keyboarding skills.
- Knowledge and competency to work with personal computers in a networked environment and to learn new software applications.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with an ability to learn and operate in an environment where priorities change regularly.
- Ability to work independantly and to assume responsibility for assigned tasks and associated decision making.
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
- Walking, climbing stairs, stooping, kneeling, crouching, lifting, or carrying and/or pulling of light weights.
- A high degree of visual and/or aural concentations and attentiveness.
- Management of multiple priorities with specific deadlines.
- Ability to lift up to forty (40) pounds / eighteen (18) kilograms onto shelves of varying height.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, mould, etc.
The deadline for all applications is May 23, 2017
To apply for this opportunity, please visit our Careers page at Simcoe.ca/jobs