DIRECTOR, PROGRAMMING & PARTNERSHIPS - PARADISE THEATRE
Job Title: Director, Programming & Partnerships
Location: Paradise Theatre, Toronto
Salary Expectation: Based on experience
Hire Date: May 12, 2017
Ideal Start Date: May 29, 2017
The Paradise Theatre has been entertaining Torontonians since 1937. Following our highly anticipated renovation we are excited to be one of the nation's leading multi-purpose venues sponsoring music, film, literary arts, comedy, and performance. Paradise Theatre is committed to providing our audience with engaging first-rate performances and to present original artists, thinkers and inspirational performers from our region.
We support several multi-cultural, community ensembles and function as a home for several self-producing artists and companies. During our Season we hope to inspire in all of us the willingness to explore new ideas and generate dialogues concerning contemporary Canadian social issues. We will program arts education that promote life-long learning to our diverse community. The iconic building will also be available for use by our corporate sponsors who share our community values and exhibit a commitment to the arts.
The senior management team of Paradise Theatre is seeking a Director of Programming and Partnerships who will manage the successful delivery of a projected program of 550–700 events annually. Programming will display a curatorial vision, artistic quality and achievement. You will be responsible for the overall management, coordination and delivery of programs and events. As Director of Programming and Partnerships, you have oversight of program support personnel, vendors, suppliers, program schedules, contracts and individual event needs. You will satisfy the expectations and requirements of the staff, participants, artists, audiences, owner, partners and other stakeholders by meeting revenue expectations within the allocated program budget.
Key Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following)
Director of Programming & Partnerships will oversee a variety of duties in implementing the program including, but not limited to:
- Creating a robust event program for the 2018 season (opening May 2018) that is consistent with Paradise Theatre’s mission and reflects the appetite of our target audience.
- The successful candidate would receive recommendations from some of Toronto’s top cultural thinkers and programmers.
- Researches and identifies artists appropriate for consideration for season long programming.
- Act as the administrative lead on select programs and events.
- Responsible for booking shows, events, and programs that meet the organization’s artistic, financial, and audience goals of the Paradise venue.
- Responsible for negotiating deals, artist fees, ticket prices, discounts, engagement expenses, and merchandising arrangements for all shows booked.
- Liaise with community and cultural leaders from the private, public and cultural sectors to effectively implement the program selected.
- Assist and guide content providers with determining staging requirements to encourage and ensure successful execution.
- Develop event and site booking procedures based on revenue forecasts.
- Effectively directs staff in the conception and delivery of events and programs.
- Aid with the implementation of the program, including tracking timelines, budgets, schedules, performance measurements and deliverables for the program and reporting details to senior management and various stakeholders.
- Strategizes with Programming, Marketing, and Box Office to develop pricing plans, single ticket marketing budgets, selling tactics, targeted promotions, and outreach efforts in ensure achievement of fiscal year budget sales goals.
- Responsible for the successful administration of all shows booked, including budget management and settlement, communication with Marketing, Box Office, and Front of House departments and day of show duties.
- Oversee the creation and effective operation of systems and archiving related to contracts, schedules, itineraries, contacts, suppliers, agencies, data collection and individual operational project plans.
- Foster and maintain a “service and team oriented” collaborative culture within and among Paradise complex, encouraging creative and innovative input.
Partner & Community Relations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with community-based organizations, festivals, external booking agents/presenters/promoters, local artists, schools, businesses, event planners and others, to seek ways to engage the community and bring business to the Paradise venue.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with local, national, and international artists, managers and agents and other venue contacts.
- Focus on activities and events that complement and enhance in-theatre experiences.
- Work with communications staff to identify project-related partnership and sponsorship opportunities and potential target audiences/participants and communities.
- Invigorate existing cooperative partnerships with peer and other appropriate educational, academic, culinary, and cultural institutions.
- Aid in developing press, social media and communications strategies and coordinating staff to deliver outreach to audiences.
- Actively enhancing the public profile of Paradise Theatre with creative and innovative programs resulting in expanding audiences.
- 5-7 years of cultural program management and/or administration experience in the music, performance arts, festival and/or special event sectors
- Practical experience in production including event, stage and production management
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple partners, artists and artistic companies from conceptualization through to presentation
- Experience with contracts, travel/touring arrangements, fee negotiations, installation bump-ins/bump-outs, visa requirements, site/venue development and preparation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of performance and visual arts, multidisciplinary performance and installations affairs with well-established industry connections
- Thorough understanding and preparation of budgeting and scheduling
- Evidence of problem-solving skills and ability to multi-task in high-pressure situations
- Established effective working relationships and collaborative work approaches with internal and external contact and stakeholders
- Degree in business or equivalent preferred
- Establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with management personnel, members of the community and other stakeholders
- Ability to handle difficult situations and people with aplomb and grace
- Demonstrated creativity, flexibility and comfort in working with diverse populations
- Experience speaking in front of large groups and interacting with staff and audiences
- Exceptional detailed written and verbal communication skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability and desire to work with outside consultants
- Solutions and detail-oriented individual with a high degree of professionalism and diplomacy
- Management of multiple projects and deadlines
- High energy, personable, and team-oriented collaborator
- Fast-paced independent worker
- Entrepreneurial and innovative thinker who will conceive and implement new ideas
- Seeks new demanding challenges
- Passionate about the arts and cultural sector
- Knowledge of the F&B world, both at home and abroad
- High-level interest in city building and immersive guest experiences
- Expressed enthusiasm in the vision of Paradise Theatre
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends for events
- Proficient in Google Apps, Skype, Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to David Thorek, Director of Operations, Paradise Theatre at firstname.lastname@example.org