Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development leads and executes the fundraising initiatives of The Black Academy. The Director of Development works with the ED, founders, staff, and consultants to envision and implement the organization’s short- and long-term fundraising goals and aligns these goals with the mission of The Black Academy. The Director of Development develops and executes fundraising plans; engages corporate sponsors, government funders, granting agencies, & philanthropic donors, and proactively cultivates new supporters.
- Plans, executes, and evaluates fundraising campaigns and activities according to established goals.
- Cultivates and fosters relationships with sponsors, donors, and granting agencies.
- Researches and completes funding applications.
- Identifies and stewards prospective donors.
- Creates solicitation materials for fundraising purposes.
- Provides leadership to staff.
- Fosters a collaborative and diverse work environment.
- Answering donor and staff inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Builds out comprehensive donor database.
- Recruits, trains, and oversees fundraising volunteer leaders.
- Stays on top of fundraising trends and the not-for-profit community.
- 5-10 years experience as a senior fundraiser in the non-profit sector, preferably in a culture-related field.
- Experience developing, directing, and executing a successful fundraising campaign.
- Demonstrated success in grant-writing.
- Strong knowledge of arts councils and funding agencies in Canada.
- Proven ability to cultivate and service new and existing donors.
- Outstanding skills in project management and strategic thinking; ability to multi-task, prioritize, and schedule tasks.
- Exceptional presentation and relationship management skills.
- Community-Centric Fundraising experience (CCF) considered a plus.
- Proven ability to foster a collaborative and diverse work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer-service skills.
- Exceptional knowledge of and contacts across the Black community in Canada
Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes health and dental benefits. The job entails working 40 hours per week with some evenings and weekends.
The Black Academy recognizes the importance of intersectional identities in our hiring and retention. We strongly encourage applications from people who identify as Black.
How to Apply:
Please forward covering letter and resume to Hiring@BlackIsNow.com.