Position: Heritage Manager – Exhibition and Research
Term: Full Time (2-year contract)
Reports to: General Manager and the Vice President of Heritage
Salary: $40,000 - $55,000
The Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (JCCC) is looking for Heritage Manager – Exhibition and Research to join the team! Working alongside Heritage Manager – Archive, Collections and Programming, and under the supervision of the General Manager, the Heritage Manager – Exhibition and Research will work to further the mandate of the JCCC and the Heritage Department.
About the JCCC and the Heritage Department:
The JCCC is a not-for-profit organization, whose motto, “Friendship Through Culture” informs all decision making and aspects of our organization.
The Heritage Department’s overarching goals are:
- To bring the story of Japanese Canadian heritage to a global audience, linking it with the greater narrative of the Japanese diaspora for broader awareness.
- To educate both general and specific audiences about our Nikkei history.
- To collect stories that illustrate the Nikkei experience from the late 1800s to current times.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead and project manage the curatorial process of exhibits
- Develop narratives and themes for exhibits and displays
- Develop online exhibitions
- Work with the Art Committee as the staff liaison
- Build and develop relationships with external stakeholders and partner institutions for broadening reach of exhibits and research
Sedai: The Japanese Canadian Legacy Oral History Project
The Sedai Project is an effort to collect and preserve the stories of Canadians of Japanese ancestry for all future generations. Be committed to bettering its accessibility, preservation and growth.
The Heritage Manager will
- Maintain the Sedai database
- Develop plan to grow the collection
- Oversee oral history transcription by contractors
- Ensure preservation of data
- Oversee accessibility of Sedai’s content through video format and monthly e-publication – Kokuban.
- Keep information (i.e. new interviewees) up to date with the changing demographics of the Nikkei community.
- Work with VP of Heritage to determine ongoing objectives of Sedai.
Finance / Grant Writing
- Work with various committees to budget for the Heritage Department’s needs annually.
- To identify,pursue, and manage appropriate grants for individual projects as well as the ongoing work of the JCCC.
Community Outreach – Public Programs and Education
Support the Heritage Manager, Archive and Collectives, Programming, in Community outreach initiatives such as the following:
- Community outreach through the promotion of our educational programming
- Establishing and sustaining global connections with other Japanese and Nikkei organisation
- Planning and implementation of Heritage-related displays and events.
- Keeping material current on the JCCC website,
- Contribute articles to monthly JCCC newsletter as well as non-JCCC publications
- Work with Heritage team on programming including programming for all annual festivals at the JCCC and Kamp Kodomo
Support for Other JCCC Activities
- Lend support to other departments and all-staff initiatives as needed.
- A post secondary degree or diploma with preference given to candidates whose studies were in Museum Studies, Art History, History/Heritage, Education, Communications, or Arts and Cultural Management.
- Experience with community exhibits will be considered an asset.
- Excellent research skill.
- Understanding of industry standards in museum practices.
- Demonstrated experience in project/program management and juggling multiple priorities.
- Well-developed communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and interview skills.
- Ability to communicate and build rapport with a wide range of ages, businesses, and community groups, in a professional and amicable manner.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively. Some experience with volunteer management an asset.
- Facility with technology.
- Ability to speak Japanese is an asset, but not essential.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Sandy Chan, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 19, 2023, quoting Job Title in the subject line.
Job Posting#: 400231