Assistant Conductor & Community Ambassador
Edmonton Symphony Orchestra & Francis Winspear Centre for Music
The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (ESO) is an ensemble with adventurous programming that reflects the diversity of the communities it serves, and has been an anchor in Edmonton’s music community for over six decades. Our vision is to make music accessible to everyone and minimize barriers for people to access musical arts experiences. The ESO invites applications from qualified individuals for the full-time position of Assistant Conductor & Community Ambassador.
Under the guidance of Chief Conductor Alexander Prior, and with regular feedback from ESO musicians, this is a mentorship position for a promising conductor. This role encompasses not only conducting duties, but also outreach into the community and a regular role at the Youth Orchestra of Northern Alberta (YONA) program, an El Sistema-based program aiming to enact social change through music education.
Responsibilities will include:
- preparing scores for all ESO programs and stepping in to conduct as necessary
- attending all rehearsals and assisting all conductors by providing balance reports and feedback as requested
- assuming responsibility for some rehearsals and assigned concerts
- conducting YONA ensembles and supporting the artistic development of the YONA program
- promotion of the ESO and Winspear via media, social media, and public relations opportunities
- representing the ESO and Winspear in community outreach activities and patron development initiatives
- programming committee duties
Qualified applicants will have:
- legal eligibility to work in Canada
- reached an advanced level of studies in music
- previous conducting experience
- experience working with children/youth
- initiative and passion for sharing music and for providing exceptional musical experiences
- the ability to run rehearsals and communicate with an audience in English
Compensation: Minimum $48,000 annually, plus $2,500 towards professional development opportunities
Term: 2 years (with possibility of extension), with a 1-year probationary period
To Apply: Complete the form found on this page. Applicants will be required to submit:
- A CV, detailing experience in conducting, working with children and youth, and in music performance settings
- A 500-word artist biography
- Conducting videos for 3 contrasting works
- A video meant to “sell” a concert on social media
- A “dream” Masters series concert program
- An Education concert program, aimed at students in Kindergarten-Grade 3
- 3 References; 2 for conducting and 1 to speak to abilities with children and youth
Application Deadline: October 20, 2017
Finalists will be notified no later than October 27, 2017. Finalists must be available to travel to Edmonton for the audition period of November 21 and 22, 2017.
Please address questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.