As Alberta Theatre Project’s visionary leader, the Artistic Producer (AP) will develop a clearly focused Artistic Vision for the future, will advocate for that vision with stakeholders and funders and will inspire the organization to achieve its goals. The AP will revitalize both the artistic and business direction of the company. The role is accountable for creating and implementing a comprehensive strategic plan and works with the Leadership Team to provide programming, financial and business planning, marketing & communications, fund development, and facility management oversight for the company. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Artistic Producer will be an experienced, inspirational leader who understands both the artistic and operational requirements of a not-for-profit arts organization and has experience in brand development, best practices around organizational development and structure, collaborative planning, and financial management.
The Artistic Producer will help redefine and raise ATP’s profile locally and nationally and will implement strategies to secure the company’s long-term financial stability, increase organizational resiliency, and ensure its lasting artistic legacy.
Strategic & Artistic Leadership
- Oversee ATP’s producing model (process) and program seasons (product) of new Canadian work as well as contemporary work in collaboration with the Leadership Team to ensure balance between ATP’s artistic direction and financial stability.
- Lead ATP as Calgary’s pre-eminent producer of new Canadian work by conceiving, developing, articulating and implementing a re-energized artistic vision for the organization that reflects its commitment to excellence for both audiences and artists and is consistent with its mission and values.
- Inspire the organization to enable the creation of new work that values EDI (Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity) and Accessibility onstage, in the community and amongst the Board and Staff.
- Develop operational priorities, policies, and processes that enable the company to operate at its highest efficiency and flexibility. Mobilize the team to achieve organizational excellence in an innovative manner by ensuring financial stability, strong stakeholder relationships and organizational resilience.
- Work with the Leadership Team and Board of Directors to lead and implement the strategic planning cycle for the organization that identifies short- and long-term artistic and organizational goals.
- Seeks out, commissions and supports emerging and established writers and ensures a high standard of dramaturgical input to new plays commissioned and produced by ATP.
- With support from the Leadership Team; selects, secures and/or approves all personnel directly concerned with the artistic elements of all projects. This includes guest directors, visiting companies, creative teams, actors, and other artists.
- Accountable for overseeing the development and execution of productions to meet the artistic standards of the organization.
- Support outreach to artistic networks to bring the perspectives, talents and visions of new artists to ATP to enhance the company’s creation, programming and production of new work.
- Oversee work taking place in theatres, scene shops, studios, and other external locations dependent on the nature of the artistic work being presented or considered.
- Serve as primary liaison to the Board of Directors, accountable for accurate and transparent communication and reporting to the Board.
- Develop and foster a workplace culture and environment that maintains the highest standards for excellence, equality, creativity, collaboration, and inclusiveness.
- Represent ATP’s vision, mission, values and brand locally, nationally, and internationally to inspire support for ATP’s work.
- Act as the lead spokesperson for the company with members of government, public funders, unions, other trade and professional organizations, corporate sponsors, major private supporters, patrons, volunteers and the media.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships through effective influence with industry partners, stakeholders (public and private funders) and producing partners (venue partners, co-producers and presenters).
- Successfully negotiate leasehold/tenant agreements in accordance with ATP’s strategic vision.
- Support fund development strategies ensuring alignment with the artistic vision and the strategic plan.
- Work with the Director of Development to enable the creation and implementation of an annual fundraising strategy and campaign, including working collaboratively with the organization as a whole, and the Board.
- Secure a robust and diverse support base for ATP by supporting the Director of Development in establishing, managing and enhancing existing and new relationships with key sponsors and donors, to facilitate the creation of new and renewed sources of major gifts, sponsorships and grants.
- Lead the timely process of grant application preparation and reporting in collaboration with the Leadership Team.
- Responsible for developing an overall financial strategy for the organization in consultation with the Board to provide funding to advance the strategic plan and the artistic vision.
- Provide leadership to the Director of Finance and Administration, ensuring sound financial structures, regulatory practices, and accurate reporting systems are in place including preparing audited financial statements.
- Working with the Director of Finance & Administration, develop a business plan and an annual budget. Ensure budgets are balanced and support ATP’s artistic vision.
- Assume responsibility of the direct fiscal management of the organization within the approved budget, ensuring optimized resource utilization, identifying efficiencies wherever possible and maintaining a positive financial position including the management of cash flow and approval of capital expenditures and acquisitions.
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance and Administration, prepare appropriate financial reporting regarding the fiscal management for the Board’s review.
Audience Engagement and Communications
- Lead ATP’s overall strategies to develop diverse audiences and engage representative communities as outlined in the strategic plan.
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications in developing and implementing a tactical plan to achieve the goals set out to secure budgeted results for subscriptions, single ticket and school sales using best practices in all areas, to maximize the patron experience.
- Three to five years’ experience in a senior leadership position in a theatrical organization, with an emphasis on developing new work.
- Proven track record of successfully leading an organization to financial health and exhibiting visionary artistic leadership.
- Strong financial management skills and experience in creating, managing, presenting, and interpreting budgets.
- Experience in leading and managing fundraising strategies and campaigns, and identifying new sources and increased levels of contributed income.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with experience reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Outstanding leadership skills, including as a mentor and coach.
- Enthusiasm for empowering staff to achieve priorities; lead a team and inspire leadership in others.
- A sincere commitment to build and maintain a workplace culture that values people and provides an opportunity for staff to flourish.
- Superior strategic planning skills.
- Experience in the field of arts management and knowledge of the issues facing the sector.
- Experience and knowledge in marketing, advertising, and public relations; particularly as related to growing ticket and other earned income revenue. This would include an understanding and awareness of the uses of social media, data analytics, and the digital world in building brand and engagement.
- Strong, collaborative decision-making abilities.
- Exceptionally inspiring, and influential communications skills, both written, listening and verbal.
- Effective delegation skills and ability to hold staff accountable to high standards of professionalism.
- Strong skills as a mediator and negotiator.
- A passion and commitment to the performing arts and their value to society.
- Post-secondary education in an artistic discipline, Arts Management, Business Administration, Marketing, or experiential equivalent.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application no later than March 23rd, 2018, by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: ATP@searchlightcanada.com.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
Alberta Theatre Projects is an equal-opportunity employer.