Reporting to the Managing Director, and working in a highly collaborative environment that includes artists, producers, marketers and educators, the English Theatre Company Manager works closely with the Producer, English Theatre, acting as the theatrical company manager and assisting in producing of season-based programming and other events. The Company Manager is responsible for hosting members of the artistic company and other VIPs, for an average of 2000 room nights annually. Additionally, the Company Manager supports the producing of a number of projects, including an action-research initiative called The Study, and special events such as receptions. Active participation in internal and external activities and committees, daily decision-making, control and strategic thinking is imperative in management and financial areas. This role involves occasional public speaking as a representative of the NAC and frequent evening and weekend activities.
- Post secondary degree or equivalent in theatre or in a related field, with a minimum of five (5) years of related experience (or an equivalent combination of education & experience);
- Strong verbal, writing and outstanding proofreading skills in English;
- Strong sense for creative processes, and ability to anticipate and support the needs of theatrical artists and producers;
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills, able to coordinate a variety of activities simultaneously;
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Familiarity with, and deep interest in, the theatre industry landscape at local, national, and international levels;
- Experience with the contracting of artists, and awareness of trends in production in the context of the Canadian Theatre Agreement;
- Experience with marketing, production, communications for the performing arts;
- Computing skills including MS Office, Adobe CS and social media;
- Ability to evaluate and manage priorities and adapt quickly to a fast-paced, complex environment;
- Ability to maintain discretion and absolute confidentiality at all times;
- Experience and/or interest in arts education is an asset;
- A past record of satisfactory attendance and punctuality is a requirement*.
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
Candidates invited to an interview will be responsible for all travel and accommodation expenses. If relocation is required, the successful candidate will be expected to pay for their relocation expenses.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.