As Executive Director (ED) of the Koffler Centre of the Arts, you will inspire the Board, staff, the arts community, the city of Toronto, and visitors by leading the organization to even greater prominence.
Your leadership will ensure that the Koffler Centre continues to present innovative programming to attract a diverse and expanding audience, while having the financial and operational capacity to fully support its mission today and into the future. You are a visionary who will lead the overall strategic direction for the Koffler Centre while working in close partnership with a dedicated Board and staff.
- Work with the creative staff to foster innovative and impactful programs, across all arts platforms, while significantly building audience and visitor retention to the Koffler.
- Work with management and staff to ensure that the programming is meeting the goals and ambitions of the organization, while balancing artistic integrity with fiscal responsibility.
- Oversee and implement a fundraising plan to significantly increase the financial bandwidth of the operation.
- Develop and foster a workplace culture that maintains the highest standards for excellence, equality, creativity, collaboration, and inclusiveness.
- Develop and implement strategic plans as well as operational plans and budgets, in collaboration with the Board of Directors and senior management.
- Act as the face and spokesperson for the organization and its programming.
- Sustain and build upon networks and partnerships in the community and with other cultural institutions in Canada and beyond, while furthering Koffler’s reputation and presence in the local and global arts scene.
- Strengthen the connection between communities of Toronto and the Koffler Centre, creating a greater civic engagement and enriching the city of Toronto as a whole.
- Ensure an ongoing, effective administrative structure is in place and provide oversight and support to the Koffler staff and Board.
- Manage and maintain excellent relations with the Board to facilitate effective governance.
- Lead and inspire full-time and contract employees, volunteers, interns, and student workers.
- In collaboration with the Board, develop a crisis management plan and recommend appropriate strategies in response to crisis scenarios which may be faced by the organization.
- Work closely with the Board to plan and organize quarterly board meetings and develop agendas. The ED works closely with the Board Co-Chairs to keep them up to date with the activities of the organization and to provide information in a timely manner.
- Support the work of Board committees.
- Contribute as ex-officio on the Art Advisory Committee of the Koffler Gallery.
- Effectively manage leasehold/tenant agreements with Artscape and participate in the Artscape Youngplace Community.
- Build the community profile of the organization, all in support of Koffler’s development.
- Deliver a multi-disciplinary programming strategy consistent with Koffler’s values and mission.
- Support and direct the overall programming direction of Koffler and assist in identifying new directions of arts innovation and cultural dialogue.
- Set metrics against which programming will be regularly evaluated.
- Embrace and continue to incorporate digital resources in the programming strategy.
- Provide excellent financial management ensuring the continuation of fiscal responsibility and sustainability going forward; oversee the development of financial and management reports to support informed and robust Board and executive decision-making.
- Contribute to the planning and future direction of the organization, in cooperation with the executive committee. Participate in policy or operational decisions that will have an important impact on the Koffler Centre’s revenues, expenditures, financial position, and prospects.
- Work with the Financial Manager to prepare annual operating budgets and financial reports for presentation to the Board for approval.
- Review all expenses and budgets regularly, making adjustments as needed.
- Oversee adherence to rules and conditions attached to existing donations, grants, and sponsorships including partnerships, gifts-in-kind, etc. Working with revenue departments, set up and streamline appropriate accounts for capital, endowment, and operating campaigns.
- Working with the Financial Manager, liaise with the auditors and supervise the preparation of audit files.
- Provide fundraising leadership and management to ensure that funds from both the private and public sectors are obtained to support the strategic and operational goals of the organization.
- Be entrepreneurial and diligent in the development and implementation of a fundraising strategy, together with the Director of Development.
- Set metrics against which fundraising will be regularly evaluated.
- Provide leadership for Koffler’s fundraising initiatives including grants, corporate and foundation requests, individual donor support, profile enhancement, annual campaigns, and events such as Koffler Couture.
- Working with the Director of Development, create fundraising proposals for individuals and corporations.
- Work with an active fundraising committee and Director of Development on fundraising events and developing the annual campaign, organizing corporate donations, and reaching out to individual donors.
- Host special events and develop personal relationships with potential and existing donors.
- A demonstrated track record of inclusive and strategic leadership, vision, collaboration and team building with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, and creativity.
- A strong commitment to Koffler’s mission, vision and values, with a proven understanding of the diversity of culture and cross-disciplinary programming at an arts organization. An understanding of contemporary Jewish culture is an asset.
- Experience in a senior leadership position with an emphasis on management, fundraising, Board relations, and public relations.
- Senior arts administration experience is an asset. Experience in developing and managing a range of contract types is important.
- Strong financial management skills and experience in creating, managing, presenting, and interpreting budgets. Excellent stakeholder management skills and experience reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Experience in managing fundraising strategies and campaigns and identifying new sources and increased levels of contributed income.
- Demonstrable experience and capacity to lead, manage, motivate, inspire, train and collaborate with staff, artists, Board members, and volunteers.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills. Able to speak and write persuasively and serve as the spokesperson for Koffler in public and in the media.
- Exceptional writing skills with experience in successful proposal writing.
- Experience and knowledge of marketing, advertising and public relations activities.
- Experience building and effectively managing government and community relations.
- Experience in dealing with facility management including negotiations of leases and ongoing landlord stewardship.
- Undergraduate degree or experiential equivalent.
- Natural leadership skills; a proactive and dynamic professional who inspires confidence and credibility; has a strategic orientation and an honest, transparent and collaborative leadership style.
- A genuine passion and belief in Koffler’s mission to explore and address thought-provoking social issues as well as art that engages and entertains.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; decisive, confident, humane.
- Team approach and willingness to empower those reporting to you.
- A desire and ability to partner with Koffler’s programmers to co-lead the development and execution of the organization’s visions and goals.
- Business savvy, driven, and dedicated to outstanding programming and audience engagement.
- A self-starter undaunted by a lean institution; an entrepreneurial spirit; a track record of coalescing others around objectives and their successful implementation.
- A strategic thinker who embraces innovation and change. Politically astute.
- Digitally skilled; comfortable working with digital platforms.
- A genuine commitment to support and grow an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish.
- Authentic and genuine communication skills and public-speaking abilities. The personal stature to inspire the organization, the Board and the stakeholders by representing Koffler with integrity.
- Dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
- A confident, calm, and tactful professional approach that demonstrates emotional intelligence with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people and with changing internal and external conditions.
- A commitment to contribute to the cultural conversations in both the Canadian and international arts community.
A competitive compensation package will be provided with salary and applicable benefits.