Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre! We are currently seeking an experienced, collaborative and meticulous Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres to oversee the production operation of the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and the Fleck Dance Theatre.
If you have drive, initiative and a customer-centric approach, thrive on working independently while also being a team-player, have sound working knowledge of all elements of production in all areas of the performing arts, we would love to hear from you!
Position Title: Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres
Reporting to: Director, Production
Direct Reports: IATSE Local 58 Stage Technicians
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Summary of Function:
The Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres oversees the production operation of the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and the Fleck Dance Theatre. In this role the incumbent analyzes and evaluates the need for production technical support for various events and performances, plans, develops, schedules and provides the support required for each event or performance, and oversees union stagehands. Responsibilities also include advising production managers/coordinators on technical riders and production estimates, maintaining inventory of necessary supplies, assisting in budget preparation, and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, and co-workers. This position plays a key role in protecting the health and safety of all staff, clients and patrons to the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and Fleck Dance Theatre.
- Technical production advance of all live events and programming at Harbourfront Centre Theatre and Fleck Dance Theatre.
- Create production schedules and provide production cost estimates.
- Adhere and interpret the IATSE collective agreement for each of the theatres including, hiring, working conditions, scheduling and payroll administration.
- Advise Harbourfront Centre Artistic Directors/Associates and Production staff, and visiting production managers, lighting and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for, events and shows, and supervise the implementation of approved technical designs.
- Provide Artistic Directors/Associates with accurate production cost estimates show and event considerations.
- Attend planning, programming, partner and client meetings, as required, to exchange information and ideas.
- Participate in the evaluation of festivals, events and shows, making recommendations and implementing procedural changes.
- Participate in regular department meetings and follow through on action items.
Operations and Maintenance of Stage Facilities
- Determine the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
- Maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervision of the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Orient clients and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement when required.
- Attend technical rehearsals, as required, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the show.
- Make recommendations regarding facilities, site development, maintenance and equipment inventory/purchases as they relate to production activities.
Project Management & Implementation
- Work with the Director, Production to prioritize the capital asset replacement plan for technical production equipment in the Harbourfront Centre Theatre and Fleck Dance Theatre.
- Coordinate capital projects with internal stakeholders and external vendors for successful completion.
- Track project budgets, timelines and any other project close out requirements.
Staff Oversight & Scheduling
- Direct the activities of subordinate staff including hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, supporting and evaluating and if required, disciplining and terminating.
- Implementing and managing the terms of the IATSE collective agreements.
- Assist with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintain inventory and order specialized supplies.
- Assist the Director, Production in overseeing the Technical department operating budget, monitor expenses, submit annual operating budget proposal, review budgets and follow up on any budget issues and challenges.
- Reconcile cash advances and expense reports as required.
- Obtain competitive quotes from external vendors when required and evaluate quotes for accuracy.
- Complete show and event production settlements in a timely manner for the Planning Department.
- Make recommendations to the senior management team regarding capital purchases.
- Ensure all events, staffing, production schedules and other related functions are captured in Harbourfront Centre’s event management systems Artifax.
- Assist the Director, Production, and senior management in the development, implementation and monitoring of operational procedures and guidelines for the Production department.
Work, Health and Safety
- Ensure compliance with applicable obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.O.1.
- Ensure all subordinate staff and production teams of visiting companies and rental clients have the required certificates to perform duties; coordinate training as required, and keep up-to-date records.
- Recommend and implement existing policies and procedures and event/show specific health and safety practices.
- Ensure all staff adhere to Harbourfront Centre Health and Safety policies and practices.
Skills & Requirements
- Post-secondary education with five (5) to ten (10) years of demonstrated experience in technical/production coordination and management of live events in theatre, dance and music.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Sound working knowledge of all elements of production in all areas of the performing arts.
- Values and customer service driven.
- Strong understanding of the Ontario Ministry of Labour Guidelines for the Performance Industry.
- Strong understanding of WHMIS.
- Experience working with IATSE and interpreting collective agreements.
- Strong passion for the arts and client engagement.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sharepoint, Teams.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills, listening, receiving, clarifying, consolidating, mediating and conveying.
- Collaborative, seeking and celebrating the contribution of others.
- Results oriented and proactive, with the ability to multitask, prioritize and work independently.
- Strong work ethic an positive team attitude
- Previous experience with event management and CRM databases an asset.
- Current Province of Ontario driver’s license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
- Ability to adapt to a work schedule which includes weekdays, evenings, weekends, holidays and/or irregular hours and overtime.
- This position is based in Toronto. Currently remote work is in place, however working on-site at our downtown lakeside campus will be required when we implement our Return to Work plan.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Vectorworks considered an asset.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Knowledge of Canada’s art community
How To Apply:
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking, and your salary expectation.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than August 3, 2021. Please quote Senior Production Coordinator, Theatres in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.