Tafelmusik is one of the world’s leading period-instrument ensembles, performing on instruments and in styles appropriate for the era of the music. At the core of Tafelmusik is a group of 16 talented and dynamic permanent members, each of whom is a specialist in historical performance practice.
Renowned for dynamic, engaging, and soulful performances, Tafelmusik is Canada’s most toured orchestra, having performed in more than 350 cities in 32 countries.
Tafelmusik is proud to call Toronto home, and its MainStage series at Jeanne Lamon Hall at Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre lies at the heart of its activities. Joining the orchestra for several concerts each season is the critically acclaimed Tafelmusik Chamber Choir and its founding director, Ivars Taurins. For larger concerts, the series moves down the street to Koerner Hall, at the TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning.
Tafelmusik engages in community and outreach events around Toronto, and collaborates regularly with Opera Atelier.
Performances of 17th- to 19th-century instrumental and choral music share the stage with insightful multimedia programs, adventurous cross-cultural collaborations, and bold new music written for the ensemble. An international array of guest soloists and directors further enhance our performances in Toronto and abroad.
Tafelmusik musicians share their knowledge and experience through comprehensive education and artist training initiatives, including the internationally renowned Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute.
Tafelmusik’s recordings on the Sony, CBC Records, Analekta, and Tafelmusik Media labels have garnered ten JUNOs and numerous international recording prizes. Its filmography was greatly expanded as Tafelmusik rose to the challenge of reaching audiences during the recent pandemic years, and with its filmed concert presentations it shares the Tafelmusik experience with viewers around the world.
The spirit of active collaboration amongst musicians and staff, and the remarkable commitment of their audience and patrons, have been the hallmarks of Tafelmusik’s success, and the basis for exceptional financial stability.
This is an exciting opportunity to co-lead one of Canada’s most high-profile and innovative musical ensembles. Tafelmusik is seeking a dynamic Executive Director (ED) who will guide Tafelmusik in a collaborative leadership model.
The ED works with the Board, artistic leadership, the musicians, and the administrative team in the development of a strategic long-range plan for Tafelmusik. The ED will develop and execute annual business strategies and has responsibility for all administrative operations.
The ideal candidate thrives in building positive and meaningful relationships with staff, artists, Board members, audiences, donors, and community members to advance Tafelmusik’s goals. They will be an exceptional administrative leader who will collaborate with the artistic leadership, musicians, staff, and Board to create and implement a bold vision for the company’s future success.
- In collaboration with artistic leadership, articulate and portray a clear vision that demonstrates Tafelmusik’s values of excellence, innovation, engagement, and integrity.
- Work closely with the Board, artistic leadership, and other key stakeholders to develop the strategic plan. Manage tactical initiatives to realize the strategic goals.
- Work with artistic leadership to develop and implement a touring and performance strategy consistent with Tafelmusik’s strategic plan.
- Work closely with artistic leadership, including the Choir Director, to support Tafelmusik’s unique and varied MainStage programming.
- Manage and develop key external relationships with granting organizations, touring agents, government and agency officials, donors, and senior representatives in Toronto’s cultural community, to foster Tafelmusik’s presence as a leading orchestra in Canada and internationally.
- Work closely with artistic leadership to ensure there is clear, open communication and coordination between the various administrative and operational functions.
- Work with the Operations Director and artistic leadership to oversee the planning, development, and promotion of touring activities of Tafelmusik’s Orchestra and Choir. With the Operations Director, manage tours so that they are completed within their budgets. Accompany the Tafelmusik Orchestra on tours when appropriate.
- Monitor the external environment for changes that could affect Tafelmusik’s success, advise the Board of such changes, and in cooperation with artistic leadership develop and implement appropriate strategic responses.
- Work with the artistic leadership to foster new and existing artistic partnerships.
Financial & Operational Management
- Manage and administer Tafelmusik activities in alignment with the strategic and business plans, and budgets approved by the Board.
- Direct the financial and business operations of the organization, including financial planning, control and reporting, annual operating budget, long-range plan and financial projections.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are in place and all financial reporting is prepared with integrity and in accordance with good accounting practices, ensuring that Board-approved policies are followed.
- In collaboration with the artistic leadership, prepare high-level financial and operational forecasts at least two seasons ahead of the current fiscal year.
- Work with staff to prepare annual budgets and track performance.
- Oversee the negotiations of the core orchestra’s general agreement and service contracts with guest conductors, performers, and others, subject to budget guidelines established by the Board.
- Develop a strategic plan to more effectively monetize recordings made under Tafelmusik’s in-house recording label, Tafelmusik Media.
- Oversee and negotiate the terms for Tafelmusik’s leased facilities, and tightly manage any capital expenditure programs that are approved by the Board.
- Work with the Board to develop and implement a facilities strategy and plan to secure long-term concert venues for Tafelmusik in Toronto.
- Implement appropriate new and innovative technology and media platforms to support Tafelmusik’s growth and efficient use of resources.
- Establish targets for fundraising goals.
- Identify and lead preparation of all municipal, provincial, federal and foundation grant applications and build close working relationships with key individuals in these organizations.
- Work with the Development Director, artistic leadership, musicians, and the Board to increase the fundraising capacity of Tafelmusik’s donor base.
- Build close personal relationships with key donors and increase their engagement with the organization.
- Oversee the organization of key fundraising events, media coverage, etc.
- Monitor the granting criteria of funding agencies and adapt Tafelmusik strategies as appropriate.
Marketing & Communications
- Along with artistic leadership, share the responsibility as a spokesperson of Tafelmusik.
- Oversee the communications and marketing functions, building on the loyalty of Tafelmusik’s subscriber base and working with frontline staff, CRM and related systems to ensure a positive customer experience in all their dealings with Tafelmusik.
- Work with the Marketing Director to oversee pricing and marketing strategies to increase both subscriptions and single ticket revenues.
- With input from artistic leadership, oversee all communications, publicity, and media relations for Tafelmusik to ensure that the organization is widely promoted and recognized locally, nationally and internationally.
Community Outreach, Education & Artist Training
- In partnership with artistic leadership, develop and grow Tafelmusik’s audiences to reflect the diversity of its Toronto base and work to ensure the wide reach of its educational and outreach activities.
- In partnership with artistic leadership, oversee the implementation and growth of Tafelmusik’s artist training programs, providing unique learning opportunities for pre-professional and professional musicians around the word, and fostering the next generation of historically informed performers
- Build Tafelmusik’s audience outside of Toronto by increasing its reach through touring, on-line media, and recording projects.
- With input from the artistic leadership, oversee the design, development, administration, promotion, and evaluation of all education, outreach, and artist training programs.
- Establish a strong and collaborative working relationship with the Chair and Board and participate as a non-voting ex-officio member of the Board and its sub committees as required.
- Meet regularly with the Chair and report to the Board as required on strategic initiatives, finance, operations, audience development and fundraising and other areas as appropriate or required.
- Work with the Board to develop and implement policies.
- Ensure the Board is made aware immediately of any concerns which could affect the operations or reputation of Tafelmusik.
Human Resource Management
- Manage administrative staff to meet annual objectives and financial budgets consistent with Tafelmusik’s Strategic Plan.
- Ensure adherence to all relevant provincial workplace legislation and Tafelmusik policies, including the Code of Conduct and Occupational Health and Safety.
- Along with the artistic leadershipand in accordance with Tafelmusik’s values, create a culture of engagement and teamwork between Tafelmusik staff and musicians which encourages open, respectful, communications and collaborative working relationships.
- Identify professional development opportunities to improve skills and provide career development.
- Recruit and guide talent with appropriate input from the artistic leadership for key positions.
- Respond to any employee concerns and any complaints which might require investigation and possible action.
- In conjunction with the Board and artistic leadership, develop and implement Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion polices and initiatives.
- Experience in progressively senior roles in a performing arts organization or other relevant experience.
- Demonstrated commitment in co-leadership; able to collaborate with artistic leadership to support the development and execution of the organization’s artistic vision and goals.
- Proven financial management skills including creating, presenting, and managing budgets.
- Strong organizational management skills and business acumen.
- Experience in or demonstrated ability in creating and presenting a long-range strategic plan and an annual operating plan for both financial and operational areas, and in assessing appropriate key indicators of progress.
- A supportive manager who invests in skill building, celebrates success, and is an open and accessible coach and mentor.
- A genuine appreciation for Tafelmusik and a passion for the art form.
- Experience building and effectively managing government and community relations.
- A proven ability and enthusiastic willingness to fundraise and develop significant sponsorships and partnerships, including experience and success in grant writing.
- Models a collaborative approach with artistic leadership, and builds trust with staff, musicians, Board members, and stakeholders.
- A vibrant and influential communicator who is engaging and outgoing, with a polished presence.
- Demonstrated understanding of and proven commitment to the values of equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Track record of deepening involvement and engagement with wider communities.
- Experience in successfully marketing a performing arts organization and in increasing audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Management experience in a unionized environment is an asset.
- An undergraduate degree in Arts Administration or Business, or experiential equivalent.
A competitive compensation package including base salary and benefits will be provided, commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please apply by email with your cover letter and resume no later than February 19th, 2023. Send to Searchlight Partners: Tafelmusik@searchlightpartnersgroup.com.
Tafelmusik is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our working culture and in our community. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates of all cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. We invite candidates who may require assistance during the application/ hiring process to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.