Northcrest Developments (“Northcrest”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Public Sector Pension Investment Board (“PSP”), which owns the 370-acre Downsview Airport Lands. Northcrest is responsible for leading the redevelopment of this extraordinary site, which will be transformed into a series of thriving complete, mixed-use communities over the coming decades.
With a 30-year horizon before development is complete, Northcrest recognizes the opportunity to pursue public-facing activities on the lands to create an early sense of place. Using arts & culture, sports & recreation, innovation pilots, and other placemaking initiatives, there is an opportunity for the Downsview Airport Lands to immediately become a hub for community, commercial and cultural activity, with programming taking place across the 2.1km runway and inside large-scale hangars. This is a once in a generation opportunity to become a part of an extraordinary city-building and destination-making project.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Site Activation & Programming, the Programming Manager will curate and produce experiences, events, installations and activations on the site, as well as provide client-servicing to third parties who choose to host their independently produced activities on the Downsview Airport Lands. With the unique opportunity to help build a vibrant public destination from the ground up, the Programming Manager will curate and implement high-quality and well-executed programs that reflect local priorities as well as activities with city-wide appeal.
The Programming Manager will ensure the success of these programs by collaborating with other internal departments to drive attendance and secure external partnerships. In addition, this role will work collaboratively with the rest of the Northcrest team to support the overall master plan development, to assist in implementing organizational strategy, integrate responsible development, and participate in community outreach and engagement.
- Develop programs that drive traffic to the site and enrich both the local community and city-at-large.
- Build strong relationships with a diverse group of talent who deliver programming and activation, with a high priority on local talent.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Site Activation & Programming to create a programming calendar of Northcrest-produced events and installations onsite.
- Curate and hire artists, animators and activators to fulfill the programming plan.
- Establish mutually beneficial partnerships and co-producing relationships.
- Collaborate with external advisory committees.
- Deliver programming plans through a lens of equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility.
- Participate in setting the direction of both the interim activation strategy and long-term district activation strategy.
- Produce and oversee the smooth execution of all Northcrest-produced events and installations including contracting, logistics and safety-planning.
- Manage a program budget and schedule, including identifying all resources, such as event support staff and suppliers.
- Ensure all permit requirements are in place for events and activations and ensure all bylaws requirements are met.
- Supervise and support placemaking and public art consultants in the execution of their mandates.
- Create systems and processes that ensure a smooth and positive customer service experience for attendees.
- Serve as a point person for short-term third-party event and activation rentals.
- Lead tours, prepare initial estimates and negotiate license agreements.
- Assist and guide clients in determining event requirements.
- Act as liaison between the client and the site to ensure successful execution.
- Coordinate the timely implementation of all landlord obligations for third-party events and activations.
Marketing, Sponsorship & Community Engagement
- Support communications, sponsorship and engagement strategies.
- Collaborate with the marketing department to develop communication plans for all onsite events.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, Site Activation & Programming, pursue sponsorship and other funding opportunities to support in-house programming and ensure the fulfillment of all sponsor or partner obligations.
- Support the Public Affairs team in maximizing the value of onsite programming for community engagement, community relations and government relations.
- Other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job, as requested by management.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in an events or cultural environment, preferably in an outdoor setting.
- Demonstrable experience with both grassroots and large-scale programming and producing.
- Practical experience in curating, event logistics, community outreach, and production management.
- Proven ability to be detail oriented in a faced-paced environment while managing the dynamic of multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to be both a creative spirit and pragmatic implementer.
- An entrepreneurial approach to working, with an independent and highly motivated work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders.
- A proven commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, interpersonal relationship management, and conflict resolution.
- Excellent and proven organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and react quickly to changing circumstances.
- A strong team orientation and collaborative approach.
- Friendly and professional demeanor with a positive attitude.
- Willingness to work occasional variable work hours in accordance with event schedules which could include early mornings, late nights and or weekends (time off in lieu will be given).
- Proven success in fundraising and sales is an asset.
- Commitment to the company’s goals and values.
A competitive compensation package will be offered, complete with salary and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by email with your cover letter and resume by no later than March 5th, 2023. Send to: Northcrest@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
Northcrest Developments is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We are committed to building and maintaining an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of the public we serve.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted by Searchlight Partners.