Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, this position works collaboratively and in partnership with the Artistic Director to advance the mission, vision, and strategic plans of the organization, and is responsible for all administrative and operational areas of WCD’s operations, including financial, personnel, facility, marketing, and fundraising.
This is a position for a self-starter who is comfortable implementing strategies and taking initiative, as well as being hands-on managing day-to-day office administration. As WCD gears up for its 60th anniversary season, we are looking to grow our subscriber and donor base. While fundraising experience is not required, it is considered a valuable asset.
While a full-time position is preferred, we are open to flexible working arrangements and discussions about how to best structure the position. This position will occasionally work evenings and weekends to accommodate activities such as board meetings, performances, fundraising events, and representation of the organization at public events.
Key Responsibilities of this position:
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, implement and monitor strategic initiatives and take a lead role in future planning, with the understanding that artistic programming is lead by the Artistic Director
- Maintain full awareness and oversight of financial records of the organization; Prepare budget reports (including actuals and projections) for each board meeting and to the Treasurer as requested
- Lead grant writing, in collaboration with the Artistic Director, prepare all applications and final reports for operating and project funding to government agencies and departments
- Develop and drive the Company’s fundraising efforts to governments, corporations, foundations, and individuals; Actively seek out additional opportunities for funding support and donations (foundations, corporations, and individuals), leveraging support from the Artistic Director and Board
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, oversee recruitment, selection, and compensation of staff and contractors. Supervise the activities of administrative personnel. It is understood that the Artistic - Director manages all artistic staff including technical personnel
- Ensure the facility is maintained and oversee contracting, service, and rental agreements
- Work with third-party providers to develop and oversee annual marketing and publicity plans to ensure subscription and single-ticket revenues are met, and the Company maintains an active community profile
In collaboration with the Artistic Director, seek out opportunities to elevate the profile of the Company
Additional administrative responsibilities including office management
Please Apply if You Have:
- Work experience in the arts or another non-profit environment
- Strong relational and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proven ability to work independently
- Experience managing budget/financials; basic understanding of accounting
- Strong operational, organizational, and problem-solving skills with proven results
- Grant writing experience
Not Required, but Considered to be an Asset:
- Knowledge or passion for contemporary dance
- Experience with Quickbooks
- Knowledge of fundraising and audience development
- Experience with marketing/social media
- Experience with volunteer management
To apply for this position, please submit your resume by email to the Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 3rd, 2023. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates will be subject to a Criminal Background check and Child Abuse Registry check. WCD recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
WCD is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other applicable Provincially protected status. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
WCD advances the artistic vitality and excellence in dance by creating, producing, teaching, and presenting contemporary dance with a view to advancing the art form for professional artists and audiences alike. Evolving and responsive, WCD enables vital intersections, linkages, and exchanges among dance creators, dance interpreters, spectators, and communities. WCD presents a broad range of creative work, the choreography of its Artistic Director, and is committed to being a place where the creative work of Indigenous, Black, People of Color, and other marginalized groups is respected, encouraged, and shared. WCD’s three-show subscription series is typically the focal point of each season. Additional programming since 2020 includes touring, community performances, WCD’s Emerging Artist Initiative, opportunities for Guest Artists, creative workshops, professional-level classes, and more.