Job Title: General Manager
Reports to: Board of Directors through the Chairperson
Directly Supervises: Front of House Manager, Box Office Manager, Technical Director, Bookkeeper
Supports: Entire staff team: 2 full-time, 7 part-time, 150 volunteers
Salary: $60,000- $70,000; salary and benefits package negotiable
Showplace Performance Centre is an independent incorporated Not-For-Profit organization and Registered Charity governed by a Board of Directors. As the Peterborough region’s premier mid-sized performance venue, Showplace provides an appropriate balance of arts related and community facility rentals such as musical performances, dramatic productions, recitals, and meetings as its primary source of income. Showplace has an annual operating budget of approximately $870,000 a year, including a City Service Grant.
The 632-seat theatre features great sight lines and acoustics, large stage, orchestra pit, green room, and support space. There is also a large multi-purpose room, with a seating capacity of 100, for meetings and more intimate performances. There is a licenced foyer on the main level and another bar in the lower-level multi-purpose room. Showplace provides a box office service with tickets available both on site and online. Exciting times-- Showplace has just launched a year long consultant-led Strategic Planning process including environmental scan, operational review, business continuity plan, and audience development review!
The General Manager’s Role
As the lead staff person at Showplace, the General Manager is responsible for the operational leadership and overall management of the facility. Responsibilities include; Programming and Facility Rentals; Financial Management; Facility Management; Human Resources; Marketing and Promotion; Planning; and Board Relations. (A detailed job description will be provided to candidates selected for an interview).
• Post secondary diploma or undergraduate degree in Arts Administration, Business Administration, or appropriate equivalent
• Minimum of 3 years arts management experience in the Not-for-profit sector
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience as an Assistant GM, Facility Manager, or General Manager in a Performing Arts Facility
• Valid driver's license and Smart Serve training an asset
The Ideal Candidate is…
• Experienced performance venue leader looking to build a legacy
• Ready to “hit the ground running”
• Team-oriented with strong organizational, analytical, planning, and grant-writing skills
• Great communicator, personable, and approachable
• Nimble problem-solver and creative thinker
• Decisive, accountable, with integrity
• Willing to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as required
To Apply, please submit a pdf of your cover letter and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org . When creating the pdf, make your name the file name, SurnameFirstname.pdf. We thank everyone who applies for their interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no follow-up inquiries regarding application status. All applications are considered confidential. Showplace in an equal opportunity employer. If accommodation is needed for you to participate in our application process, please let us know in your cover email.
Closing Date: 5:00 p.m. Friday, July 14, 2023