Competition Number: 10-16
Contract Start Date: March 1, 2017
Contract End Date: March 30, 2018
Hours Per Week: 36.25
Remuneration: $46,285 - $69,427
The Ontario Arts Council (OAC) has an exciting opportunity to administer a new Indigenous Culture Fund (ICF) on behalf of the Government of Ontario. ICF will be Ontario’s largest public fund dedicated to supporting a broad range of Indigenous community-based activities.
OAC will be engaging with Indigenous communities through a variety of community consultations as part of the process of designing ICF programs that are responsive to Indigenous ways of knowing and working, and accessible to Indigenous communities across Ontario.
The Indigenous Communications & Outreach Specialist will provide comprehensive and varied communications and administrative support for the outreach and community engagement projects, programs and initiatives undertaken by the Indigenous Unit in carrying out the requirements for ICF.
• Design, write, edit and update ICF communications, such as newsflashes, content for e-newsletters, e-vites and e-blasts, paper and web advertisement copy, general announcements, blogs and social media
• Develop systems for assuring accuracy of materials, including correct spelling and grammar; to adhere to organization design and brand style standards
• Coordinate communications projects that include suppliers, vendors and other services in accordance with OAC purchasing requirements
• Prepare files for online publication such as graphic images, photos, PDFs, etc.
• Maintain the ICF content on OAC’s website
• Assist with, as well as create and develop, outreach and community engagement tools and resources, such as PowerPoint presentations, brochures, forms etc.
• Research, develop and maintain contact lists and information/community engagement session participant lists
• Prepare and maintain RSVP lists, manage the registration and RSVP process
• Contact artists/organizations and supply release forms regarding the use of sample applications, support materials in our outreach materials
• Provide logistical support for outreach and community engagement sessions and events, such as researching and identifying appropriate meeting spaces, determining number of participants, special needs, audio visual needs, etc. and booking required venues, support personnel and equipment, and ordering catering, etc.
• Assemble, organize and ship resource materials/information kits
• Prepare administrative cheque requisitions and purchase orders
• Make travel arrangements and help with scheduling participants, guests and staff
• Help set up and clean up meeting spaces where required
• Coordinate webinars and provide webinar support
• Attend outreach and community engagement sessions and take notes at events
• Coordinate Indigenous Unit meetings and take notes and minutes
• Distribute information internally on OAC’s Indigenous Unit activities and provide information to applicants on programs
• Post-secondary education in communications or other relevant area of study
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in communications, community engagement, or related role
• Experience working directly with and supporting Indigenous communities
• Very familiar with Indigenous protocols and community engagement tools
• Strong oral and written communication skills with excellent plain language writing, editing/ proofreading
• Advanced level English is a requirement, proficiency in an Indigenous language is an asset
• Experience interacting and communicating sensitively and successfully with a diverse range of individuals with a customer service focus
• Strong technical skills and advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) and with database and web-based programs
• Proven design and content experience in creating and updating PowerPoint presentations, visual tools, resources, forms, social media sites, web pages, e-vites and e-blasts
• Experience using social networking sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. on behalf of an employer
• Moderate experience with design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator and In Design and web design tools like Dreamweaver and/or Flash.
• Strong administrative and organizational skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize and be flexible in handling ever changing demands
• Ability to work overtime on occasion and travel, if required
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume (please note that applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered).